US President Donald Trump announced that his administration is working on a deal to keep TikTok operational in the United States, signing an executive order to extend the app’s availability for an additional 75 days.
In a post shared on Truth Social and later reposted on X, Trump stated that “tremendous progress” has been made in negotiations but that more approvals are required before finalizing the agreement.
“The deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days,” Trump said.
Trump’s statement also addressed ongoing tensions with China, emphasizing that his administration hopes to work “in good faith” with Beijing, despite reported dissatisfaction over reciprocal tariffs imposed by the US. He reiterated that tariffs are a critical economic tool for maintaining national security.
“This proves that tariffs are the most powerful economic tool and very important to our national security!” Trump wrote.
The move to extend TikTok’s operations comes amid continued concerns over data security and the app’s Chinese ownership. The US government has previously attempted to ban the platform over national security risks, citing its ties to Chinese parent company ByteDance. However, Trump’s latest move suggests a shift towards a negotiated resolution rather than an outright ban.
“We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’ We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the deal,” Trump concluded.
The extension provides temporary relief for TikTok’s millions of American users, but the future of the app remains uncertain as negotiations continue.
In a post shared on Truth Social and later reposted on X, Trump stated that “tremendous progress” has been made in negotiations but that more approvals are required before finalizing the agreement.
“The deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days,” Trump said.
( @realDonaldTrump - Truth Social Post )
— Donald J. Trump 🇺🇸 TRUTH POSTS (@TruthTrumpPosts) April 4, 2025
( Donald J. Trump - Apr 04, 2025, 1:34 PM ET )
My Administration has been working very hard on a Deal to SAVE TIKTOK, and we have made tremendous progress. The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is… pic.twitter.com/rRlgvm4Jna
Trump’s statement also addressed ongoing tensions with China, emphasizing that his administration hopes to work “in good faith” with Beijing, despite reported dissatisfaction over reciprocal tariffs imposed by the US. He reiterated that tariffs are a critical economic tool for maintaining national security.
“This proves that tariffs are the most powerful economic tool and very important to our national security!” Trump wrote.
The move to extend TikTok’s operations comes amid continued concerns over data security and the app’s Chinese ownership. The US government has previously attempted to ban the platform over national security risks, citing its ties to Chinese parent company ByteDance. However, Trump’s latest move suggests a shift towards a negotiated resolution rather than an outright ban.
“We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’ We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the deal,” Trump concluded.
The extension provides temporary relief for TikTok’s millions of American users, but the future of the app remains uncertain as negotiations continue.
You may also like
Donald Trump 'actively negotiating' tariffs with India, other nations: Report
Security heightened in Jammu's RS Pura sector after foiled infiltration bid
Deepfakes: Centre advises social media platforms to curb malicious 'synthetic media'
Indore Shocker: 70-Year-Old Stabs Wife 7 Times With Knife, Kills Her; Then Jumps From 3rd Floor
Submission Of Internal Audit Report For Half Year Ended March 31, 2025, Through BSE Electronic Filing System